Friday, May 22, 2015

Slow Cook Friday: Chili

I decided to gather ingredients early, and get some cooking today. I decided a good chili with the odd weather sounded good.


Pound or so of beef (beef for stir fry was the cheapest)
Corn (from 2 ears of corn)
2 bell peppers (red and green)
Small green onions (from the garden)
1 med. red onion
Tomato paste
Tomato sauce
2 pints of canned tomatoes
Can of black beans (drained)

Set on low for 8 hours.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Corn on the Cob: Easy and Quick

I have liked the look of this years mixed corn at the Farmer's Market and the store (Yellow and White kernels). I just don't always want to boil them in water, or pull out the BBQ.  I started to look through a Google search, and found one to try.

  • Leave the corn in the husk
  • Put in Microwave and cook for 4 minutes
  • Remove with paper towel or something else to protect your hands
  • Put onto your cutting board
  • Look at the side where the stalk is/was.  Cut close to the base of the corn husk.
  • Pull the husk off carefully
  • Pull the corn silk/hair off.
Spice/butter to desired taste.  I've been eating it straight without anything.

Monday, May 11, 2015

Kniting the Challenge Project and Dyeing with Indigo.

Here is some recently spun yarn.  It is called Christmas Candy, and is Merino Wool, Firestar and Angelina from the Etsy Store CrochetByKA:
It is a 4 ply yarn.  (2 ply, plied together for my spinning friends).

Last time I got to photograph, last week, it looked like this:

I will update more details soon.  I have several rows added over the weekend, but the real story is,


I am an active member of the Las Vegas Fiber Arts Guild.  At the March meeting, they offered a Weaving or Knitting Poker Challenge.  I picked several cards from a special deck.  My cards were:
  • Green
  • Shiny
  • Seed Stitch
  • Holes
  • Purse
This is the bottom of the purse, or "bag"  There is green in this yarn, and there is shiny in it.  I am almost done with the seed stitch.  Still working out the "holes" but I have two books that will help.

Saturday was the monthly meeting, and our annual dye event.  I have a few pictures still to upload.  I did have one project I was very proud of.  The fabric started out pretreated, then looked like this:
 Each of those things is one or a few Lego pieces, and a rubber band to hold it.  Then after I wet it, it went into a Indigo Dye Pot.  After untying all the rubber bands, and washing it, this is what it looked like:
I'm not sure which is front vs. back.

This I believe this was the pure cotton fabric.  I have a linen/cotton fabric, but it didn't take the color as well.